Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
grateful grateful is offline

Default I think I need to use Index, Match, and IsNumber but am confus

Hi Dylan, Thank you for your response....I think you're right that VLookup
should work somehow...I've come across it when I was trying to figure it
out...even though I couldn't get it to work... I don't really understand it.

I tried your formula and it comes back #N/A....and I also tried it this way:
=VLOOKUP(C7,'[Workbook2.xls]Current'!$B$1:$C$146,2,FALSE)
for example in Row 7, but it still comes back #N/A...so maybe I don't
understand how the array thing works....

Thanks a lot. If you have time....I wouldn't mind understanding VLookUp,
but if you don't I understand.

Thanks!

"Dylan @ UAFC" wrote:

no problem the simple way would be
=VLOOKUP formula

think of the second sheet as raw data that will only
to popluate the next cell with the corresponding data.

in sheet1
Column C Column D
Contains value Retrieves the value for the second sheet

the forlmual in column would be
=VLOOKUP(C1,Sheet2!$b$1:$C$3,2,FALSE)

I know it looks scary but its not.
VLOOKUP is the formula.
C1 is were the data is coming form.
Sheet2!$b$1:$C$3 is called a table array
The next (2) is the column of data form the
table array you would like to see
False mean it will pull the exact text sting
ascending order does not matter

"grateful" wrote:

Hi there.

I have two workbooks.

In the first workbook column C has about 200 subproject names.
(Ex. C
SubProject 1
SubProject 2
SubProject 3)

In the second workbook column B there are about 400 projects
(Ex. B C
MainProject:SubProject 1 10
Mainproject:SubProject 3 5
Mainproject:SubProject 2 20)

Those 200 projects are somewhere in the 400 projects listed in the 2nd
workbook.

I need a formula in Workbook 1 Column D to look for the sameproject in
Workbook 2, column B, even though column B in workbook 2 contains more text
than Column C in workbook 1...and then put the corresponding value into
Column D Worksheet 1 in the row with the matching project.

My difficulty is making an Index Formula that uses Match...when the two
cells aren't IDENTICAL....I can use ISNUMBER...but that only gives me a True
or False...But I'm pretty sure I then need to INDEX...

Can anyone help?? :o)

Thank you so much!

You are all so smart.