Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Linear Regression

Excel help for the LINEST function tells you where to find the various
standard error terms, and help for the STEYX function tells you what it
produces. It's the standard error for the y estimate, not for the
coefficient. You'll see that you get the same result as for the sey term
from LINEST.
--
David Biddulph

"al boccia" wrote in message
Thanks Mike -

Maybe you can clarify two things for me.

1. Do I need the statistical function add-in to get LINEST to work? All
the
individual functions (SLOPE, STEYX, etc, are working presently)

2. What I really need from the analysis is the standard error of the
regression coefficient. Since I can get STEYX to work, and since I have
only
one independent variable (that is one x argument), is the standard error
returned by STEYX the same as the standard error of the coefficient? If so
I'm home free.

Al Boccia

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

Al Boccia -

If you have a single X variable, you could use worksheet functions
INTERCEPT, SLOPE, RSQ, and STEYX. But if you need other diagnostics or if
you have multiple X variables, you'll have to figure out how to use
LINEST
or use statistical software.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"al boccia" <al wrote in message
I have been struggling to get the LINEST function to work for me. I have
checked out the instructions for the function, and have followed them
carefully, but I can't get LINEST to return either the basic results
(slope
and intercept) or the full array of output (with the STATS option set
TRUE
(or 1). I am entering the formula as an array formala, as instructed.
No
matter what I do, all I get is the slope result as a single number.

Al Boccia