Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
al boccia[_2_] al boccia[_2_] is offline

Default Linear Regression

Thanks Mike -

Maybe you can clarify two things for me.

1. Do I need the statistical function add-in to get LINEST to work? All the
individual functions (SLOPE, STEYX, etc, are working presently)

2. What I really need from the analysis is the standard error of the
regression coefficient. Since I can get STEYX to work, and since I have only
one independent variable (that is one x argument), is the standard error
returned by STEYX the same as the standard error of the coefficient? If so
I'm home free.

Al Boccia

"Mike Middleton" wrote:

Al Boccia -

If you have a single X variable, you could use worksheet functions
INTERCEPT, SLOPE, RSQ, and STEYX. But if you need other diagnostics or if
you have multiple X variables, you'll have to figure out how to use LINEST
or use statistical software.

- Mike Middleton
http://www.DecisionToolworks.com
Decision Analysis Add-ins for Excel

"al boccia" <al wrote in message
I have been struggling to get the LINEST function to work for me. I have
checked out the instructions for the function, and have followed them
carefully, but I can't get LINEST to return either the basic results
(slope
and intercept) or the full array of output (with the STATS option set to
TRUE
(or 1). I am entering the formula as an array formala, as instructed. No
matter what I do, all I get is the slope result as a single number.

Al Boccia