Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default return value based on number of characters in cell / field

Here is one more formula for you to consider...

=1+(LEN(A1)=2)

You didn't define what should happen if there are exact two characters in
the cell, so I treated it the same as when there are more than two
characters in the cell. If that is wrong, just change the = to by itself.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Perplexed" wrote in message
I have a field with varying number of characters, I need function that
returns a value based on the number of characters in field.

ie if field x <2 characters = 1 2 characters = 2

Thanks