Lady Layla

I apologize profusely for attempting to assist you.

I would say that the answer to your original question is No it can not do
that -- you need to either purchase a working version of Excel or save a static
copy for whoever needs the information. Updating the data is considered
"editing" therefore is in the list of things that can not be done.

"Support" wrote in message
: I read this already, of course. I understand that I can search for, filter,
: copy, etc., but the question is: can I actually --retrieve-- the data with
: the Excel viewer? Excel is used simply to draw pretty pictures. The
: spreadsheetis blank until the data is retrieved from Access. I have gone
: through the online help, and could find no statement regarding external data.
: A simple yes or no would suffice. This post only answers my question if I
: make the assumption that "modification" is synonymous with "retrieval."
:
: "Lady Layla" wrote:
:
: From Microsoft Office Website:
:
: What you can do with Excel Viewer
:
: If you don't have Excel installed, you can use Excel Viewer to do the
following:
:
: Open a workbook for viewing Excel Viewer can open these Excel file formats:
: ..xls, .xlt, .xlc, .xlm, and .xlw.
: View a worksheet You can scroll to view the different parts of a worksheet.
: Work with the data You can select, search for, and filter (filter: To
display
: only the rows in a list that satisfy the conditions you specify. You use the
: AutoFilter command to display rows that match one or more specific values,
: calculated values, or conditions.) data. You can even copy the data to
: another program. However, without Excel installed, you won't be able to edit
the
: data and save the changes that you make.
: Print a worksheet You can specify the data that you want to print and set
the
: print options to print any worksheet data, just as you would in Excel.
:
: To get more information about using Excel Viewer after you have installed
and
: started the program, click the Online Excel Viewer Help command on the Help
: menu, which is available when you are connected to the Internet.
:
:
: "CanalSupport" wrote in message
: ...
: : We have a number of spreadsheets that retrieve data from an access
database
: : that, in turn, uses linked tables to our accounting system via ODBC. We
have
: : a terminal server that users in the remote office use to access this
: : accounting system, but it does not currently have office installed. I
: : installed the Excel Viewer and set up the system DSN, but no data was
: : retrieved and no error messages were displayed. I have only spent about
15
: : minutes on this problem, but before I spend the next 2 days trying to get
: : this to work, I would like to know if it is possible for the Excel Viewer
: : (2003) to view spreadsheets such as these. If this is too vague, I would
be
: : happy to provide any extra information. Thanks in advance.
:
:
: