Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Default Stumped: Find first match in list then reference dif cell in row..

One way
In C1: =IF(A1="","",IF(COUNTIF(A$1:A1,A1)1,"",B1))
Format C1 as date, copy down as far as required
--
Max
Singapore
"MeatLightning" wrote:
Hey all -
Got a head-scratcher here. Hoping someone can help. Here's the scoop

I have a pile of data (6k+ rows). Amongst this data, there are two columns I
am working with:

COL A COL B
1234 1/1/2002
1234 1/1/2002
1234 1/1/2002
1345 1/22/2004
1345 1/22/2004
1344 2/14/2005

In a new COL C, I want to show the date from COL B that corresponds to the
first instance of each number string in COL A. For subsequent matches, I
want to show nothing (blank) or "N/A."

So using my example above, my completed sheet would look like this:

COL A COL B COL C
1234 1/1/2002 1/1/2002
1234 1/1/2002
1234 1/1/2002
1345 1/22/2004 1/22/2004
1345 1/22/2004
1344 2/14/2005 2/14/2005

Ideally this is all accomplished via function / formula in COL C (not macro
or UDF - though those are welcome as well). Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!
-meat