Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Will H, England[_2_] Will H, England[_2_] is offline

Default Using SUM function to count hours BUT ignore Letters?

Hi Eduardo, sure...

This is part of a week-ending spreadsheet thats i put everyones hours into.
Having column-group headings of Mon-sun and under those headings I have
columns for Basic, 1.5 and 1.8 rate. Then into these columns I type the
number of hours each worker has done per rate.

Here is an example of one of the formulas that adds the BASIC hourly rates up.
=M38+P38+S38+V38+Y38

The problem I get is when one cell contains a letter like "H" or "S" or "V"
representing a holiday, sick or vacation taken. These letteres are counted by
a formula in another column using =countif(M38:Y38, "H") for the holdays
column etc.

Because of the presence of these letters in certain cells it gives me
"#ERROR!" as the result.

I need the formula to total the numerical values (hours) but ignore the
letters.

Thanks

Will

"Eduardo" wrote:

Hi Will,
could you give an example of what you try to sum and the complete formula
you have

"Will H, England" wrote:

Hi I use sum functions to total hours in rows and previously used coloured
cells for holidays, vacations and sick etc. (not ideal!) Ive started using
the IFCOUNT function to countr the number of holidays etc taken but the
problem I have now is the =SUM(cell:cell) formulas I have are giving errors

How can I make the SUM formulas ignore the letters?

thanks

Will.