Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Shawnn Shawnn is offline

Default Excell Dropdown List. Display alternate text than found in li

I would use an adjacent cell to make this project much easier on me.
Unfortunately I have to follow strict state reporting guidelines. With that
being said, I have tried for several hours to duplicate the example in the
download you provided but I keep getting errors. The example is exactly what
I want to do though. Do you know of a step by step guide?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

You could use some code to replace the name with the id number.

But I would would use an adjacent cell so that I could display both.

If A1 contained the name (a cell with data|validation???), then in B1:
=if(a1="","",vlookup(a1,sheet2!a:b,2,false)

Where Sheet2 contained the list of names in column A and the ID's in column B.

But if you want, Debra Dalgleish has a sample workbook he
http://contextures.com/excelfiles.html#DataVal
Look for:
DV0004 - Data Validation Change -- Select a Product from the Data Validation
list; an event procedure changes the product name to a product code.
DataValCode.zip 8 kb

Shawnn wrote:

I have a form that uses a dropdown list to show employee names. What I want
to do is allow the names to be selected in the dropdown list but the employee
number to actually be inserted into the form. Is this even an option?

--

Dave Peterson