Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Very Simple formatting Question

Hi,

If your formatted as currency you have to re-enter the data to make that
take effect. Select the cells in turn and tap F2 & enter and you should see
your new format.

the problem was probably cause by the cell being formatted as text before
you enntered the numbers.

Mike

"Quin" wrote:

I thought I understood most aspects of formatting numbers and text in Excel
until this came up...

I have a spread sheet with numbers. I select the numbers and then right
click to Format Cells and I select currency. The spread sheet seems to
ignore the currency formatting and does not put in the dollar signs. What is
worse than that is the column of numbers will not sort correctly. If I sort
it gives me an incorrect sort order like:
119.42
12.62
120.38
122.43