Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Roger Govier[_3_] Roger Govier[_3_] is offline

Default EXCEL07 how to use text in a PivotTable value field

Hi Courtney

Drag Surname to Row labels
Drag Notes3 to Row Labels
Don't drag anything to the Values section
Click on the PT Design tabLayout sectionReport LayoutShow in Outline
form
Click on the PT Design tabLayout sectionGrand TotalsOff for Rows and
Columns
--
Regards
Roger Govier

"Courtney G" <Courtney wrote in message
I am new to pivot tables and I am learning in Excel 2007. I would like to
use pivot tables to view text (rather than figures and totals) in a
variety
of ways. For example, I have created a simple, tidy excel worksheet as my
data source. All columns are non-date text values (notes about the
related
rows). Let's say column one is labelled SURNAMES and subsequent columns
are
labelled NOTES1, NOTES2, NOTES3, and so on. I have created a pivot table
using data from this worksheet. I want to use pivot tables to view the
SURNAMES column data next to the NOTES3, etc. column data, but when I
attempt
to do this the pivot table wants to count the data rather than just
showing
it. Is there a way around this?