Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Courtney G Courtney G is offline

Default EXCEL07 how to use text in a PivotTable value field

I am new to pivot tables and I am learning in Excel 2007. I would like to
use pivot tables to view text (rather than figures and totals) in a variety
of ways. For example, I have created a simple, tidy excel worksheet as my
data source. All columns are non-date text values (notes about the related
rows). Let's say column one is labelled SURNAMES and subsequent columns are
labelled NOTES1, NOTES2, NOTES3, and so on. I have created a pivot table
using data from this worksheet. I want to use pivot tables to view the
SURNAMES column data next to the NOTES3, etc. column data, but when I attempt
to do this the pivot table wants to count the data rather than just showing
it. Is there a way around this?