Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default converting ssn's

Okay, yes, I can see that. Good point. Even without using the SSN built-in format, the OP might have simply use a number Custom Formatted as 000-00-0000 for the same effect.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Ron Rosenfeld" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 00:08:23 -0500, "Rick Rothstein"
wrote:

I think it works with them if the cell is formatted as text (or if the entry starts with an apostrophe)... I assumed if there would be leading numbers, then the cell would be formatted as text to preserve them.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

I agree with that.

However, when I wrote "numeric entries", I meant entries that were entered as
numbers, not as text.

Especially since SSN is one of the built-in special formats, I felt it
important to account for this.
--ron