Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Teamlevy Teamlevy is offline

Default run a single instance of excel

Of course they say it is an excel issue. Is there anything else I can try?
I'd really like to have only one instance of excel open by default.

Thanks,
Randy

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

I have had no experience running XP in parallels on a Mac

Might have something to do with the problem.

The unregserver won't show it is doing anything.

The regserver coomand normally takes a while.........several
minutes.......to complete

Gord

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 16:15:02 -0800, Teamlevy
wrote:

I tried everything mentioned below and it did not change anything. When I run
"1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK. " it doesn't seem to do
anything, but when I run "2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK."
windows installer pops up and acts like it is doing something. I tried
rebooting after running 1) & 2) above, but that didn't help either.

I don't know if this matters, but I am running windows XP in Parallels on a
Mac.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Try the usual fix for this.

ToolsOptionsGeneral Uncheck "Ignore Other Applications"

If no joy with that................

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) StartRun "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)OK.
2) StartRun "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case StartRun "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes
required)OK.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 1 Dec 2008 14:39:01 -0800, Teamlevy
wrote:

When I click on a file in windows explorer, it opens that file in a new
instance of excel. I know that it is supposed to open up in the same instance
of excel. How do I get new files that I click on in windows explorer to open
up in the currently running instance of excel by default like it should be?

I don't know if this has anything to do with it, but when I look at the
shortcut to excel in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start
Menu\Programs\Microsoft Office and click the advanced properties, the "run in
separate memory space" is checked and grayed out so I can't change it.

Thanks for any help,
Randy