Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Text to data

=IF(RIGHT(A1,2)="cr",-LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-2),A1)
--
David Biddulph

"Arceedee" wrote in message
I'm importing a text file into Excel 2003 and by using the text to data
facility I'm almost able to create a 'financial' spreadsheet. The problem
is
that there is a column that contains entries that are credits and appear
like
1062.22cr
I want the figure to be a true number but cannot find a way to format the
column. I'm not bothered whether it appears as -1062.22 or 1062.22- or
even
1062.22. I just need to have it have the ability to recognise the numbers
and
to calculate. To have it recognised as a credit would be preferable so
that
the column could be used in conjunction with the debit col to have a
running
balance.
Thanks