Dave Peterson

I knew you built a lot of options into that workbook!

Earl Kiosterud wrote:

The Text Write program does not normally write field delimiters (normally
commas) past the last field that contains something, in a given record. For
that, use the "Write rectangular" option, first selecting the range to be
written to. From what I've heard, Excel's CSV file type sometimes does, and
sometimes doesn't.

--
Earl Kiosterud

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
Saved from a previous post:

This might describe the problem of too many commas in CSV files:

Column Delimiters Missing in Spreadsheet Saved as Text

(It actually describes missing delimiter, but if some are "missing", maybe
the
ones appearing are "extra".)

(But a lot of programs (excel included) don't care about those extra
columns.
Maybe you don't have to care, either???)

Maybe you could write your own exporting program that would behave exactly
the
way you want:

Here are three sites that you could steal some code from:

Earl Kiosterud's Text Write program:
www.smokeylake.com/excel
(or directly: http://www.smokeylake.com/excel/text_write_program.htm)

Chip Pearson's:
http://www.cpearson.com/excel/imptext.htm

J.E. McGimpsey's:
http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/textfiles.html

(or maybe you could build your own formula and copy|paste into Notepad.)

In G1:
=a1
In G2:
=a2&","&b2&","&c2&","&d2&","&e2&","&f2
then drag down.

You may need to insert additional quotes or formatting:

=a2&","&text(b2,"mm/dd/yyyy")&....

ScotP wrote:

When I save a spreadsheet as CSV, and some of the fields at the end
of
the row are empty (ie row 1 has 10 fields, and subsequent rows have <10
fields), some rows have consecutive comma's at the end of the row for the
empty fields, and some do not. Anyone see/hear of this behavior? I'm
using
Excel 2002 SP3.

To reproduce the problem, try entering 1 - 5 in cells A1 - E1, then
enter 1 & 2 in columns A & B for the next 20 rows. Save as CSV, and open
in
notepad, rows 2 - 16 have three comma's at the end, & rows starting at 17
do
not. The problem always starts at row 17 for me.

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson