Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default Can you help me to solve the below equation in excel ?

I just read Dana's reply and now realize you meant "e" as the exponential
constant and not an e-notation representation. Sorry for any confusion my
previous response may have caused you.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"Rick Rothstein" wrote in message
Your are going to have to clarify your expressions for us. A number
presented with e-notation does not permit a fractional value after the
"e". Is the number in your Y=3494e0.012x expression actually supposed to
be 3494*10^0.012 where I have used ^ to indicate raising a number (10
being assumed in this case) to a (fractional or whole number) power? To
guide you a little bit... assuming your 3494e0.012 is in fact a number,
then your expression is Y=Nx (where N stands for any number) and solving
for 'x' merely requires you to divide both sides by N to isolate 'x' by
itself. So, x=Y/N which, using your original presentation, would be
x=10000/3494e0.012 and, once you resolve the 3494e0.012 presentation
problem, is a simple division problem. To reiterate.... Excel (and almost
any other software) will not recognize 3494e0.012 as a valid number, but
it will recognize 3494*10^0.012 as being a valid number. In Excel, if A1
contains your 10000 value (no thousands separators are used when entering
a number in Excel) and B1 contains 3494*10^0.012, then putting =A1/B1 in
C1 (or any other cell) will generate the answer you want.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"K Lee" wrote in message
Can you help me to solve the below equation in excel ?
Y= 3494e0.012x and Y=10,000, therefore,
10000=3949e0.012x,
I like to find out the value of x,
please also list the equation so that I can input in excel by myself work
out other numbers.
Thanks.