Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shayla2008 Shayla2008 is offline

Default Formula calculating to the 3rd decimal

Thank you,
the TRUNC function has fixed my problem.

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,

First, you didn't tell us what was in A1 and A2 but even so your math is
incorrect

sum (A3*.05) is $125.53 is not correct, instead it is

125.5315

=sum(A3*.07) is $ 175.74 is not correct either it is

175.7441

The sum of these first 3 numbers is 2811.9056 which rounds up to 2811.91

=================

Second, the formulas you are using should not be written as they are,
although it has no effect on the results, they should be

=A3*0.05
=A3*0.07
=SUM(A3:A5)

===============

Third, if you really want to ignore the values beyond the second decimal
place then
=TRUNC(A3*0.05,2)
=TRUNC(A3*0.07,2)
=SUM(A3:A5)

If you only want the final number treated this way then:

=SUMPRODUCT(TRUNC(A3:A5,2))

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Shayla2008" wrote:

I am using simple addition & multiplication formulas and the sum appears to
be calculating to the 3rd decimal which is making my totals unacceptable. My
formatting in the cells are for 2 decimal places. How can I ensure the
formula is also calculating to only the 2nd decimal place?