Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Gord Dibben Gord Dibben is offline

Default how to reference a cell one up and one back

In B2 enter =OFFSET(B2,-1,-1) to return value from A1

Basics are =OFFSET(cellref,rowindex,columnindex)

Negative indices are up and left................positive indices are down
and right.

See help on the OFFSET function for more info and examples.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 17:23:17 -0000, "merlin"
wrote:

I'm trying to do a roster pattern which involves each person doing the same
but one day out of phase with the previous person.

Basically, I need to fill a cell with the value in the cell one columnback
and one row up (or sometimes 3 up and 3 back). In this way I can roster all
19 people without retyping each line.

I'm not quite sure how to manipulate cell references to do this. Please
could someone advice me?

many thanks IA