Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
No Name

Default totally lost - named range and vlookup

Bob,
Thanks for your reply. I still had to read all three initial posts to
understand it all.
The best way for me is to see the formulas work. I think too often
we (less mathmatically inclined) tend to confuse Excel sheets with database
tables.

"Bob Umlas, Excel MVP" wrote:

your definition of Itemlist is 1 column wide (the "1" at the end of the
OFFSET).
Your VLOOKUP is trying to return the 2nd colulmn from this 1-column range,
hence the #REF

"< AVG Joe" wrote:

I have a sheet with a layout as such:
A B C
Bed 2.50 ea
Table 1.00 ea

I have tried to specify a dynamic named range ("ItemList" )as so:
=OFFSET(MasterContentsList!$A$2,0,0,COUNTA(MasterC ontentsList!$A:$A),1)

The range always includes an empty cell at the bottom of the list. I have
deleted everyting below to end, but no change? This is causing the DV list to
start at the bottom with a blank...

Secondly, when I try to use that named range in a VLOOKUP, to retrieve the
amount, I get a #REF error. Here is the formula I am using for VLOOKUP:
=IF(ISBLANK(B12),"",VLOOKUP(B12,ItemList,2,FALSE))
Are the errors related? What am I doing wrong