Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Shane Devenshire[_2_] Shane Devenshire[_2_] is offline

Default Variable string$

Hi,

Assuming the number is in A1 enter the following formula in B1:

If the table is not sorted on the number column

=VLOOKUP(A1,G$1:H$7,2,)

Or shorter if it is sorted and every number you would enter in colum A is
listed

=VLOOKUP(A1,G$1:H$7,2)

or even shorter

=LOOKUP(A1,G$1:H$7)

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Ferdy" wrote:

I am creating an excel file where I want to enter a number in a column which
will make a persons name appear in the next column, the numbers and names
having already being set up in a table. How would I set up the table and make
the name cell cross ref with the number in the previous cell.
I have defined number variables before but not text strings.