Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Rich[_8_] Rich[_8_] is offline

Default 16 digit numbers OOPS

"Rich" wrote in message

"Niek Otten" wrote in message
Hi Scott,

These newsgroups are meant to share solutions, so we can all learn from
each other.

Sending files via email should only be done if nothing else helped and
there is no hope for a shared solution anymore.
Even then any solution found should be posted to the newsgroup.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"porter444" wrote in message
Can you send me a sample file Rich? Please do not include any
confidential
information.

Email to:
--
If my posting was helpful, please click the "Yes" button.

ROCK ON!,

Scott

"Rich" wrote:

Hi,

The team at work have to export a file from an app one column which
contains
16 digits product codes. The app only exports as a CSV. My colleagues
use
excel to open the csv, but the long number reverts to scientific
notation,
and formatting the cell to number corrupts the number slightly.

The only work around I can offer if to rename the CSV as text, open
with
excel then go through the wizard and set the offending column to text,
which
works, but is over complicated and cumbersome for the team.

Can anyone offer an easy solution or a macro method to ease this
process ?

--
Rich
http://www.richdavies.com

Scott,

Thanks for the offer, Niek you're right too.

I've posted the example to http://www.richdavies.com/emample2611.xls

The product code is 5171261108300966.

Excel turns it into
5.17126E+15

When you convert it by formatting as number, it becomes 5171261108300960

--
Rich
http://www.richdavies.com
http://www.richdavies.com/excel.htm