Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] nughty@gmail.com is offline

Default Summing a column based on the length of text in a cell in another

On Nov 26, 10:49*am, David Biddulph wrote:
I suggest that you check the formula again (& double check that you've
used CSE to array-enter it). *The formula gives 6, not 0.
--
David Biddulph

On 26 Nov, 15:39, wrote:

Thanks. *I tried that but the result still shows 0. *=(-
On Nov 26, 8:40*am, Mike H wrote:
Try

=SUM(IF(LEN(A1:A4)4,E1:E4))

'This is an array formula which must be entered by pressing CTRL+Shift+Enter
'and not just Enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets
'around the formula {}. You can't type these yourself. If you edit the formula
'you must enter it again with CTRL+Shift+Enter.

Mike

" wrote:
Hi, I am trying to sum acolumnbasedon thetextlengthof data in a
differentcolumn. *I'm sure that I'm either not using the right
formula or I am missing some component of the one I am using. *Anyway,
this is the formula:

=SUMIF(A1:A4,LEN(A1:A4)4,E1:E4)

Here is visual data of what I am trying to do:
dshara * * 0 * * * 0 * * * 0 * * * 4
dsmsg * * *0 * * * 0 * * * 0 * * * 2
faut * * * 0 * * * 0 * * * 1 * * * 3
fist * * * 0 * * * 0 * * * 2 * * * 14

Basically, in this example, I want to come up with the total of 6.

Thanks, B- Hide quotedtext-

Thanks for the brain check reminder David, didn't change the E column
cell addresses to fit my data field. Changed it to V2:V79 instead of
E2:E79 and worked like a charm. Thanks everyone for your help.