Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
NC2A''''DAM NC2A''''DAM is offline

Default Excel - Geomean - Ignoring Empty Cells

Mike - I understand it is fundamentally flawed. I am simply planning on
replacing the 0s with 0.00000000001, so that the data will not be
meaningfully altered. I will be able to work around the negatives for the
time being. All of my steps will be disclosed. And I do appreciate you
looking after the integrity of academics. However, I will see if I can get
your recommended formula to give me error-free results.

Dana - Thank you. I will see if there is too much data to take a GEOMEAN,
but I believe we should be okay. At most a hundred cells are necessary for me
to find each required GEOMEAN. There will just be a bunch of these geometric
means.

"Dana DeLouis" wrote:

NC2A''''DAM wrote:
Hey Mike:

I posted the file to savefile.com just so you can check it out. You are
right though, I must take out all the negative numbers and zeros before it is
willing to calculate the geometric mean. I will get right on it.

Thank you very much for your help!!

<snip

As a side note, it doesn't take many numbers for GeoMean to return an
error because of overflow.
Perhaps use the alternate equation for GeoMean...
It's an array formula. Samll test area A1:A4

=Exp(Average(If(A1:A40,A1:A4)))

- - -
HTH
Dana DeLouis