Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Mike H Mike H is offline

Default Excel - Geomean - Ignoring Empty Cells

Hi,

What I should have done is tested whether you are correct in suggesting
geomean doesn't ignore empty cells. I have now and find that a standard
geomean formula

=GEOMEAN(A1:F3)

Returns the same answer is the array one I posted so geomean does ignore
empty cells.

Mike

"Mike H" wrote:

Maybe

=GEOMEAN(IF(A1:F3<"",A1:F3))

Change the range to suit

'This is an array formula which must be entered by pressing CTRL+Shift+Enter
'and not just Enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets
'around the formula {}. You can't type these yourself. If you edit the formula
'you must enter it again with CTRL+Shift+Enter.

Mike

"NC2A'DAM" wrote:

Hello All:

I am finishing up calculations on my masters thesis. I have about 2000
observations for about 150 bid-ask spreads for REITs (Real Estate Investment
Trusts) (way too much data for manual input). There are random empty cells
throughtout. I am trying to take a GEOMEAN for all 150 column variables. It
automatically ignores the empties when using average, but not in GEOMEAN.
What kind of formula can I use that will recognize the empty cells and ignore
them (not turn them into zeros) without registering as an error?

Thanks in advance.

(for Excel 2003)