Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Shane Devenshire[_2_] Shane Devenshire[_2_] is offline

Default VLookup with wildcard

Hi,

I should add that you can use all three wildcards with VLOOKUP - *, ?, and ~

You can also mix an match them so this is a legal search "??E*" - it looks
for anything with an E in the fourth postion.

Finally you can put the wildcard into the VLOOKUP as I did or into the
spreadsheet cell, E7. In the spreadsheet cell you would use A12B* without
quotes.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"orejas" wrote:

Hi,

I would like to use VLookup with a wildcard, but dont know how to.
This is the formula I'm currently using, but which is not working.
=VLOOKUP(E7;Accountmanagers!$A:$B;2;TRUE)
The thing is, the result of E7 is (eg.) 1185TB, wheres Accountmanagers!$A:$B
will contain 1185.
So the question is how I look for 1185 (no letters) in 'Accountmanagers'.