Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Niek Otten Niek Otten is offline

Default How can I isolate the last two words in a text string?

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND("\",SUBSTITUTE(A1," ","\",LEN(A1)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A1,"
",))-1)))

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"Steve Gibbs" <Steve wrote in message
I have found a formula that works great for retrieving the last word from a
string of charactors in a cell.
If the string in Cell A1 is: "How do I return the last two words?", the
formula below will give me the last word. (Isn't it nice sometimes to
have
the last word?)

{=RIGHT(A1,MATCH(" ",MID(A1,LEN(A1)-ROW(INDIRECT("1:"&LEN(A1))),1),0))}
This will return "words?".

How can I modify this or, what other formula will return, "two words?".

I think this is a very slick formula, but I don't quite understand it well
enough to figure out how to modify the match to find the second blank.

Note: I found this formula in Osborne, THE COMPLETE REFERENCE EXCEL 2000
by
Kathy Ivens and Conrad Carlberg.