Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
[email protected] neil40@btinternet.com is offline

Default Avoiding negative values in IF statements help needed

On 22 Nov, 22:23, Shane Devenshire
wrote:
Hi,

This problem might be better solved with a different approach:

1. Create the following table

Difference * * *Points
-100 * *0
-6 * * *1
0 * * * 2
1 * * * 3
7 * * * 4

Suppose this is in A1:B6, including titles. *Then your formula is

=VLOOKUP(D2-E2,$F$5:$G$9,2,1)

If you could loose by more than 100 points adjust the first number.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

" wrote:
Hi,

I have the following criteria to asses match results

Away loss by 7 points or more = 0 points
Away loss by 6 points or less = 1
Away draw = 2
Away win by 1 to 6 points = 3
Away win by more than 7 = 4

I used the following equation:
=IF(E2="","",IF(D2-E2<=6,1,IF(E2=D2,2,IF(E2-D2=7,4,IF(E2-
D2<7,3,0)))))

Seemed to mostly work, apart from the last bit. I think I have the
last zero in the wrong place.

This formula if the score was 50-40 (D2=50, E2=40) home win, evaluated
E2-D2<7 as -10 and put 3 in the cell

Thanks for any help

Neil- Hide quoted text -

Thanks all,
I have used Teethless mama's approach and it works well. I did try
them all, but liked that one.

Not sure what you mean about pressing the Yes button Shane. I'm using
Google Groups and don't see anything like that.

Neil