Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Joe Lewis[_2_] Joe Lewis[_2_] is offline

Default Automatic sorting (giving max and min) based on custom sorting

Thank you so much. That worked perfectly!

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,

I don't understand how the title "automatic sorting" fits into the problems
below??

However, this may be a start, assuming the users are entering info in column
A and you custom list is in G1:G10 then the

Max:
=INDEX(G1:G10,MAX(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:A9,G1:G10,0 )),MATCH(A1:A9,G1:G10,0))),0)
Min:
=INDEX(G1:G10,MIN(IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1:A9,G1:G10,0 )),MATCH(A1:A9,G1:G10,0))),0)

These are both array formulas, so you must press Shift+Ctrl+Enter to enter
them.

if this helps, please click the Yes button

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Joe Lewis" wrote:

Suppose I have a bunch of cells with a drop-down list allow users to choose
between the folowing values:

pppp
ppp
pp
mp
mf
ff
fff
ffff

How do I write a function that will look through all the cells where someone
has chosen a value (all non-blank cells) and pull out the max and min value
where the "max" and "min" are based on the custom list above (i.e. "pppp" is
the smallest value possible and "ffff" is the largest value possible)?

I would like for Excel to do this automatically for the user, and update
itself as the data might change.

Is this possible?