Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting

Default Cannot find "Plot empty cells as" option in 2007

The best bet is to use one series for your statistical functions and a
different series as source data for your chart.
--
David Biddulph

"AllSensibleNamesTaken"
wrote in message ...
Hi guys,

I'm finding that I have to use IF(A1="","",A1) in columns where I need the
following formulas to operate while ignoring "blanks":
average() ,stdev(),skew(),and kurt()
I canot use NA() here because the above formulas fail upon encountering
any
#N/As

I of course then find the same problem as you guys that these "" are
interpreted as zeros by Excel charts rather than blanks to be ignored.

Is there something other than "" or NA() that I could use in my
IF(A1="","",A1)
formulas so that both charts and the abobe statistical functions can work?

Thanks so much

"Shane Devenshire" wrote:

Hi,

Regarding the =NA() comment: The use of this is mainly when one has a
formula that return a blank to one or more of the cells being plotted.
You
generally don't just type =NA() in a cell in the data range, what you do
is
modify a formula that might return "" so that it return NA when it would
return "", for example =IF(A1="",NA(),A1)

In these situations you don't use the Plot empty cells option, because it
is
not even applicable. Meaning if the formula returns "" it is not
consider
empty by Excel. The empty cell are cells that really have nothing in
them.

Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"Jack Tripper" wrote:

Excel has the option under
Tools - Options - Chart tab

Plot empty cells has
- Not plotted (leave gaps)
- Zero
- Interpoloated

i cannot find the option in Excel 2007, after hunting off and on for 3
hours.

Where is it?

i've already dismissed the hack of filling values with the formula
=NA()