Debra Dalgleish

You're welcome. Thanks for describing how you solved the problem.

Randy Harris wrote:
I think I figured out why it wouldn't "globally" set that format. I went
back to the source data and put the format back to standard date (I had
changed it to mmm yy trying to get this to work). Now I can set the format
for the row heading.

Thanks very much for your help.

Randy Harris

"Randy Harris" wrote in message

That's a huge improvement. Is there a way to "globally" set the format

for

the row label (to mmm yy) for that pivot table? I can set it, but then up
above, when I switch to another year the formatting reverts back to the
default (4/1/2004).

"Debra Dalgleish" wrote in message

Then, change the Month formula to:

=DATE(YEAR(F1),MONTH(F1),1)

In the pivot table, format the Month field (FormatCells, Number tab) to
the custom format of mmm yy

Randy Harris wrote:

I've been trying that. It won't let me group the data - "Because the

field

is grouped, you cannot add a calculated item to it.". I've repeatedly
ungrouped, but still get that message.

--
Debra Dalgleish
Excel FAQ, Tips & Book List