Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
ajkarl ajkarl is offline

Default How do I modify the legend in Excel?

Thanks for posting this suggestion! I knew how to change the series order
using the "Format data series..." option, but I didn't know you could simply
type it in. I was having trouble because Excel was not letting me move a
couple series up or down in the "Series order" tab on a plot with 5 data
series. It also was listing both of the series as "Series1" and not by the
names I had given them. When I checked the number at the end of the command
line for the two problem series, they were 12 and 15. After changing the
numbers for all of the series on my plot to 1 through 5, it now works
correctly.

"Barb R." wrote:

Go into the chart. Select the series that you want to change. Look at the
command line and you'll need to change the number at the very end. It will
read something like:

=SERIES(Sheet1!$A$3,Sheet1!$B$1:$J$1,Sheet1!$B$3:$ J$3,2)

You'll want to change the 2 at the end to say 1. Test it and see what
happens. You can always undo the change if it's not what you want.

"beckyboucher" wrote:

I want to change the order in which the entries appear in the legend in my
Excel chart. How do I do this without changing my actual data? ( I did a
seach and it said I had to have a program called Visio. Is this correct or
can I modify the legend straight from Excel?) Thanks