Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default Excel: How do you format numbers in a concatenate string?

Don't forget to check the little handy dandy YES button below to indicate
your question has been answered satisfactorily, and thanks for the feedback :)
--
** John C **

"John G" wrote:

I like the plural twist John C - very neat!! Accuracy is always mentally
stimulating - even when it's getting late in the working day over here in
London, UK!!

"John C" wrote:

Actually, I was very close to accurate on what you were seeking.
Understanding I have the US regional settings for currency, but I think you
could modify as you need to.
A3: =CONCATENATE("The cost of your ",TEXT(A1,"#,##0")," item",IF(A11,"s is
"," is "),TEXT(A2,"£#,##0.00"),". Please pay now!")

or, if you prefer
="The cost of your " & TEXT(A1,"#,##0") & " item" & IF(A11,"s is "," is ")
& TEXT(A2,"£#,##0.00") & ". Please pay now!"
--
** John C **

"John G" wrote:

Thanks for your speedy reply John C but I was wasn't very clear in my question!

Right assume this:
Cell A1 = 20
Cell A2 = £1,799.50

Then in cell A3 I am wishing to report:
Cell A3 = The cost of your 20 items is £1,799.50. Please pay now!

I am fiddling with the formula...
Cell A3 ="The cost of your "&A1&" items is £"&A2&" . Please pay now!"
Whilst A1 picks up correctly by default a "general" format - the result from
A2 does not provide the requisite thousands comma delimeter.

Is this easy....? I suspect so!!

"John C" wrote:

I think this will work for you:
=TEXT(string,"format")
You could add -- in front of TEXT to ensure it is viewed as numeric by excel
if you need it too. For example, say you wanted to state something like
The cost of the product is $17.99. Thank you for your order.

You could do the following:
=CONCATENATE("The cost of your product ",TEXT(cost,"$#,##0.00"),". Thank you
for your order.")

If this isn't what you were looking for, reply back and give more details.
--
** John C **
Please remember if your question is answered, to mark it answered :). It

"John G" wrote:

I have a concatenate string with various numerical entries. I want to format
the numercial returns with varying formats. What function do I need to
incorporate into my string surrounding each numeric & pickup?