Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Andy Smith[_2_] Andy Smith[_2_] is offline

Default Auto enter current date in cell when another changed

Perfect. Thats sorted that out.
Thanks for your help
Andy.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

We need to add one more line of code:

Set t = Target
Set a = Range("A:A")
If Target.Count1 Then Exit Sub
If Intersect(t, a) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
t.Offset(0, 1).Value = Date
Application.EnableEvents = True

Gary''s Student - gsnu200812

"Andy Smith" wrote:

Thanks Gary's Student, this is just what I needed. Works great and nice &
easy to follow. Only problem I have is when I insert another row into the
spreadsheet I get the following debug message:

Microsoft Visual Basic
Run-time error '1004':
Application-defined or object-defined error

This stops the Date being inserted until I restart excel. Any ideas?

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

We can use an event macro to enter static dates. Say when data is intered
into column A we want the date inserted in column B right next to it. Insert
the following worksheet event macro:

Set t = Target
Set a = Range("A:A")
If Intersect(t, a) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
Application.EnableEvents = False
t.Offset(0, 1).Value = Date
Application.EnableEvents = True
End Sub

Because it is worksheet code, it is very easy to install and use:

1. right-click the tab name near the bottom of the window
2. select View Code - this brings up a VBE window
3. paste the stuff in and close the VBE window

If you save the workbook, the macro will be saved with it.

To remove the macro:

1. bring up the VBE windows as above
2. clear the code out
3. close the VBE window

To learn more about macros in general, see:

To learn more about Event Macros (worksheet code), see:

Gary''s Student - gsnu200812

"Andy Smith" wrote:

Is it possible to have excell automatically enter the date into a cell when
changes are made to another cell?
(I do not want this date to update so I don't think I can use the NOW or
TODAY functions).

Thank you.