Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
bashtherat bashtherat is offline

Default COUNTIF STOPS COUNTING

Apologies Glenn

I used (CTRL+SHIFT_ENTER) before typing in the formula.

Once I pressed it after typing it worked great.

I'm just a novice!

Thanks for all your help.

Bash

"Glenn" wrote:

Define "did not work". Did you remember to array-enter (CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER) the
formula? What results did you get and what were you expecting?

Paste your exact formula and the data from one of the target cells you believe
are not being counted properly.

My latest test worked for a cell with over 32,000 characters.

bashtherat wrote:
Your solution did not work.

I am running windows xp with office 2003 and the text box contains more than
255 characters.

"Glenn" wrote:

Glenn wrote:
bashtherat wrote:
I used the following formula to count the number of times "NPRP
served" appears in a worksheet column: =COUNTIF(H3:H38,"*NPRP
served*"); but it stops counting if there is too much text before the
target text appears.

Why does this happen and how do I get round it?

Please help.

Try this array formula (use CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER):

=COUNT(--(FIND("NPRP served",H3:H38)0))
And without the "0", the "--" also can be dropped, leaving you with this:

=COUNT(FIND("NPRP served",H3:H38))