Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
smartgal smartgal is offline

Default Convert time entered to decimal

Have tried all, to no avail. Here's a sample of my data (and I've also done
this formatted as time, or 8:19 / 12:17, etc). I've multiplied by 24,
formatted as h:mm, formatted as decimal - I've tried it all.

What I want is for my person to enter their *actual* times and have my sheet
convert it to the proper decimal time as our time clock does so that she gets
a running total of her time each day and through the week. Sample below.

Start time Lunch out Lunch in End time Subtotal Lunch total Day total
8.19 12.17 12.51 5.05
8.58 12.02 1.27 4.02

"T. Valko" wrote:

Just subtract the start time from the end time.

A1 = start time = 1:13 PM
B1 = end time = 9:27 PM

=B1-A1

Format as [h]:mm

Result = 8:14

If the times might span past midnight then use this version:

A1 = start time = 11:13 PM
B1 = 7:27 AM

=MOD(B1-A1,1)

Format as [h]:mm

Result = 8:14

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"smartgal" wrote in message
I am trying to create a spreadsheet in which I can enter an actual time
(1:13
pm) and have it convert it to a decimal. Tried excel help, to no avail.
Output of this is I want an employee to enter their start and end times
each
day and have the sheet calculate the time spent at work. Thanks!