Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions

Default cell ref

Well, that description has a lot more useful information than your first
posting. Put this formula in B1 on Sheet1 and copy it down as far as you
think you need to...

=IF(A1="","",LOOKUP(A1,Sheet2!A$1:A$8,Sheet2!B$1:B $8))

Change the 8 in the A$8 and B$8 to the row number for your last product code
on Sheet2 (so the range covers all your product codes on Sheet2).

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"markwmansell" wrote in message
Well I dont think thats what Im after let me try again.

say in sheet 1 you put say 2345 in any cell it auto puts SC in the cell
next
to it because is looks look in sheet 2 which will have 2345 in say A1 and
in
B1 it will have SC in it am I making any sense. Its a bit like having a
list of product codes and products on sheet2, when you put a product code
in
sheet1 it puts the product name in for you next to the product code.

"Rick Rothstein" wrote:

Let's say the cell you want to check for the number 1 in it is D4 and you
want D5 to display "sc" whenever D4 is 1, then put this formula in D5...

=IF(D4=1,"sc","")

In other words, you don't (can't) push a value into another cell from the
cell you are in; rather, you have that other cell look into a specific
location and react to what is in it.

--
Rick (MVP - Excel)

"markwmansell" wrote in message
can i link cells so when ever i put can 1 in a cell it will auto put sc
in
the cell next to it?