Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
WLMPilot WLMPilot is offline

Default Complex decisions, maybe?

If I read your question correctly, I believe you are trying to put two
different values in C1. You indicated that C1 has a value and you want to
compare that value against C10 and if a certain criteria exist, then the
value of C1 should output "A". Unless there is something more complex than I
am aware of, you cannot do that.

However, if you compare a formula against the value of C10, then you can
output "A" to C1, ie =IF((A1-B1)=C10,"TRUE","FALSE), where the (A1-B1)
represents the value you want in C1 to compare to C10.

Now to answer your question about the formula. I am going to change up a
little and say that you do have a value of 2 in C1 and the following formula
is in D1:

=IF(OR(C10-C1=5, C10-C1<=-5),"A","")
NOTE there is a 5 and -5 in the formula.
You did not indicate what to do if the comparison does not meet the criteria
for an "A" output, so I made it null via the double quotes.

Now if you want the output of "A" to be C1, you will need to replace both
instances of C1 in my formula with the formula that calulates to give you the
answer 2 (in your example). Place this formula in C1.

Example (C1): =IF(OR(C10-(B1-A1)=5,C10-(B1-A1)<=-5),"A","")

Hope that works for you.

Les

"Noob McKnownowt" wrote:

hey guys,

got a quick question for any one able to answer :)

say i have a table with various SUM functions from C1 to C10 calculating the
numbers in A1 and B1 down to A10 and B10

in cell C1 i have 2 and in C10 i have 7

if C1 is 5 more than or 5 less than the value of C10 then the value of that
cell should have an "A" out put to it.

there are other conditions but hopefully if you can help me with this i can
figure the rest out.

thanks for any assistance given.

The Noob.