Posted to microsoft.public.excel.newusers
Sheeloo[_3_] Sheeloo[_3_] is offline

Default How to enter zip starting with 0 (zero)

I have lived in NJ so I know zip code and start with a zero :-)

What do you mean when you say 'converting it to word via mail merge'?

Suppose you have your zip codes in Col A
then enter this in B1 and copy down
=IF(LEN(A2)=4, "0"&A2,""&A2)

This will prefix a 0 to four digit zipcodes and convert them to Text

Next, select Col B, press Ctrl-C to copy, Right-click on B1, chooshe Paste
Special and then select Values, click OK...

You can now use Col B as your zip codes...

You can send your file to me.
To get my id, add @hotmail.com to the end of with
details of what you want to achieve.

"Rachel" wrote:

I have tried all these suggestions, and nothing is working.

I have a database in Excel and am trying to convert it to Word via mail
merge. (Wouldn't you know, in MA, most zips start with zero??)

Have tried formatting that column as Zip. As text. As text with an
apostrophe. As Custom- 00000.

I'm beginning to feel like I should throw the computer out the window.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

"Sheeloo" wrote:

Yeah, you are right. Just pointed this out for future use...

"Peo Sjoblom" wrote:

The OP wants to use it for mailmerge in Word then it doesn't matter how they
are numerically formatted