Posted to microsoft.public.excel.charting
Bruce Bruce is offline

Default Consolidate my data and plot on a dual axis chart

Hi Jon,

I think you have misunderstood my request. I wish to plot volume against
price. There is no independant variable i.e. time, as the data is market
depth and not a time series.

My price data is in 2 columns but somehow I need to combine to make 1 series
and plot on the x axis. Then the 2 column series can be plotted on y.

Regards,

Bassmann

"Jon Peltier" wrote:

Why do you want to combine the two price fields?

Is the data daily or hourly? In either case, if the dates/times for bid and
ask are not the same you will not get what you expect in a line chart. If
you use an XY chart, both data sets can use their own independent X values.
In a line chart, all series use the same X values as the first series.

If you need a line chart (the only reason is the nice X axis date
formatting, because an XY and Line chart offer the same series formatting
options), you can get around this problem by using all of the X values in
both series, putting blanks in the Y data for one series where only the
other series has a value.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Bruce" wrote in message

I have some stock market data that I is downloaded and in a fixed format
but
am having trouble plotting in the dersired manner.

The aim is to plot price on the x axis and volume on the y axis, the twist
is there is a set of data for the bid and a set for the ask price.

The raw data
a) The bid price is in column D
b) The bid volume is in column C
c) The ask price is in column G
d) The ask volume is in column F

The chart
a) The values in the bid price and ask price (col D and G) need to be
combined to make a series for the x axis of the chart as the range
overlaps.
b) The bid volume and ask volume are plotted as 2 dependant variables on
the
y axis on the same primary axis.

I think the answer is to consolidate the data from 4 columns into 3 where
the 2 price fields are combined. I then know how to plot this as a chart.
have tried with a pivot table but cant get it right.

Any tips appreciated.

Bassmann