Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
MFM MFM is offline

Default Lookup value,return column heading

Thank you.
I actually have to first look up by date then apply the formula to an aray
to locate the column reference and copy doen. Please see my example below.

Thank for your help. This is killing me.

IN C14
=VLOOKUP(a14,$a$2:$c$11,MATCH($b$14,$B$2:$e$14,0), FALSE)

A B C D E
SCHEDULE
1 DATE SALES MKTG GEN PROD
2 01/01/07 dh PL ST
3 01/02/07 MS HG DM RO
4 01/03/07 HG TW RO
5 01/04/07 MS HR HG RO
6 01/05/07 DM MG HG
7 01/06/07 SU MG
8 01/07/07 MG SU DH
9 01/08/07 DM DR RO
10 01/09/07 HG ES RO
11 01/10/07 ah TW GO
12
13 DATE STAFF DEPT Wk'd from Above
14 01/01/07 PL ??
15 01/06/07 MG ??
16 01/09/07 ES ??
17 01/06/07 SU ??
18 01/10/07 TW ??
19 01/03/07 RO ??
20 01/01/07 DH ??
21 01/06/07 SU ??
22 01/09/07 RO ??

Alan Moseley IT Consultancy
http://www.amitc.co.uk

If I have solved your problem, please click Yes below. Thanks.

"MFM" wrote:

I am trying to locate a matching value and return its columnheading.
Ex A5=vlaue to find in row5 to return column heading a4:z4

hlookup(a5,b5:z5,(return matching column heading a4:z4),0)