Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
KC Rippstein hotmail com> KC Rippstein hotmail com> is offline

Default Applying Named Ranges to Existing Formulas

It will not change absolute, mixed, or relative references to the new name.
You'll want to use Ctrl+H (the find & replace function) to accomplish this as
you continue to identify your constants.
--
Please remember to indicate when the post is answered so others can benefit
from it later.

"DmanDub" wrote:

I've searched evrywhere for help on this issue but can't seem to get a clear
position.

I have a large workbook with thousands of formulas spread across 20+
worksheets. All of these formulae make extensive use of standard assumptions
contained on one particular sheet. I would like to apply names to these
assumptions (constants) and have the existing formulas use the new name
references instead of the absolute cell references that they currently have.
It would make reading and following the formulae much easier.

I have defined the names but when I try and apply them excel keeps telling
me tat it can't find any references to change. Its almost as if the named
ranges will only apply to the sheet that they are on - not the whole
workbook. The names are defined as workbook in the name scope.

Is there something I'm doing wrong - it seems mad that if you name a cell
after a formula is written on another worksheet that Excel will not replace
the absolute refernce with the named range!

Thanks in advance