Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
Pete_UK Pete_UK is offline

Default Lookup between two books

Try this in K2:

=VLOOKUP(H2,'[Book B.xls]Sheet1'!B:D,3,0)

Copy down as required. This assumes Book B is open - if not then you
will need to have the full path between the first apostrophe and the
[.

If you get #N/A errors, this means there is no exact match. If you
think that there are matches, then you might have the 5-digit code in
column H as a number and the codes in Book B as text, or vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Pete

On Nov 12, 4:29*pm, CSmith wrote:
I have 2 seperate books, not tabs within a book. *In Book A, column H is a
column of short 5 digit numeric codes in each cell. *Keeping within Book A, I
need my formula to be in column K, where my return result will be. *I need a
formula that will look at cell H2 (or whatever cell it is as I copy and paste
the formula down the column), and then go to Book B and search for that code
in column B. *Once it finds that specific code in column B in Book B, staying
in the same row, I need it to grab the zip code associated with it in column
D and put that zip code back in Book A, cell K2. *This is all in Excel 2007
and if I need to, I can put Book B as a tab within Book A, but would prefer
not to do so. * Thanks for any help you can give!