Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dhstein dhstein is offline

Default Reading File Name in VB Macro that contains today's date

Thanks for the great answers. Reading the file works fine. But now in the
macro there is a point where I switch windows and then switch back again.
The switching back isn't working. Here is the Hard coded line commented out
and the calculated name that isn't working. What am I doing wrong?

'Windows("sales_daily_2008-11-10.csv").Activate
Windows(DailySalesName).Activate

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

VBA has its own Format() function that you can use:

dim myFileName as string
myfilename = "sales_" & format(date-1,"yyyy-mm-dd") & ".csv"

If you need to watch out for Mondays (or weekends), maybe you can modify
something like this:

Dim myFileName As String
Dim myAdj As Long

Select Case Weekday(Date)
Case Is = vbSunday: myAdj = -2
Case Is = vbMonday: myAdj = -3
Case Else
myAdj = -1
End Select
myFileName = "sales_" & Format(Date + myAdj, "yyyy-mm-dd") & ".csv "

MsgBox myFileName

dhstein wrote:

Is it possible to have a macro that opens a file that has a date in it.
Specifically I need to open yesterday's file that would be called
Sales_2008_11-10.csv. Obviously this name changes every day. Thanks for any
help.

David

--

Dave Peterson