Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
jayceejay jayceejay is offline

Default Auto number Non null values

BRILLIANT! I cannot thank you enough! I was struggling with the <"". I do
have one question, though. In regard to null values, why wont <null or
IsNotNull work?

"John C" wrote:

Assuming your valid data starts in row 2, column B.
A2: =IF(B2=validdata,MAX($A$1:$A1)+1,"")
Edit--Fill--Down as far as needed. When you insert a row, you need to copy
the formula into the A column of the new row, and it will re-increment. As
far as what makes column B valid data, I have no idea, that is for you to
determine. If it is just ANYTHING in column B makes it valid, then replace
the B2=validdata with B2<""
--
** John C **

"jayceejay" wrote:

Column A contains row numbers ONLY if there is a corresponding value (text)
in column B.
Is there a function that will do this for me? It needs to re-increment when
a row is added in the middle, much like numbered bullets reconfigure. Right
now, the best I can do is apply a row number whether there is a value there
or not. All I want is an incremented counter in column A for any row in
which I enter a text value in column B. I would appreciate ANY help!