Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Need help extracting date and time with Excel 2K

Can't tell from your example table what data is in what column.

Are the dates/times true Excel dates/times? They don't look it in your
example.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"tech1NJ" wrote in message
I have 2 sheets setup. Sheet 1 has name listed in column A and Sheet 2 has
data as listed in the example below. I need help with extracting the
latest
date and time from sheet2 based on the name listed on sheet1. The problem
that I have is that Sheet2 Column D has more text than just the name. In
this
example I like to retrive the latest date and time for rdupree and place
it
into Sheet1 Column C in the same row as rdupree is. I currently am using
the
following formula but it only works if Sheet2 Column D has only just the
name. It does not work if the extra text is in the cell. One more thing. I
am
not allowed to remove the extra text from Column D in Sheet2.

Example1 - names listed in Sheet1 Column A
rdupree
jose
debby
pcaruso

Example2 - type of data on Sheet 2
Column A ColumnC ColumnD
1/8/2006 - 2:29 PM rdupree Authorized Testwireless or Upgrade
1/10/2006 - 5:19 AM rdupree Authorized Centron 48 input Node
1/11/2006 - 10:55 AM pcaruso Authorized Centron 128 input Node
1/11/2006 - 11:39 AM jose Authorized Testwireless or Upgrade
1/11/2006 - 11:44 AM debby Authorized Software Opt:
1/11/2006 - 11:47 AM debby Authorized Software Opt:
--
tech1NJ