Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
ShaneDevenshire ShaneDevenshire is offline

Default Help with simple if statement

Hi,

Of course you might use VLOOKUP

=IF(ISNA(VLOOKUP(A1,'[spreadsheet name]sheet
name'!$A:$A,1,FALSE)),"non-priority","priority")

This works against a closed workbook.

--
Thanks,
Shane Devenshire

"Lou H" wrote:

Help required. Its a pretty basic if statement but it keeps returning the
wrong answer. I have 2 spreadsheets and I want to look up a column of
numbers in one spreadsheet and return "Priority" if it finds a match and
"Non-Priority" if it doesn't. It keeps returning "Non-Priority" even when I
know it should be returning "Priority". The syntax I have used is
If(A3='[spreadsheet name]sheet name'!$a:$a,"Priority","Non-priority"). What
am I doing wrong????