Posted to microsoft.public.excel.worksheet.functions
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Help with simple if statement

COUNTIF doesn't work on closed files.

Better to use something like:

=IF(ISNUMBER(MATCH(A3,'[spreadsheet name]sheet
name'!$a:$a,0)),"Priority","Non-priority")

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"John C" <johnc@stateofdenial wrote in message
=IF(COUNTIF('[book name]Sheet name'!$A:$A,A3)0,"Priority","Non-Priority")
--
** John C **
Please remember if your question is answered, to mark it answered :). It

"Lou H" wrote:

Help required. Its a pretty basic if statement but it keeps returning
the
wrong answer. I have 2 spreadsheets and I want to look up a column of
numbers in one spreadsheet and return "Priority" if it finds a match and
"Non-Priority" if it doesn't. It keeps returning "Non-Priority" even
when I
know it should be returning "Priority". The syntax I have used is
If(A3='[spreadsheet name]sheet name'!$a:$a,"Priority","Non-priority").
What
am I doing wrong????