Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
joel joel is offline

Default Lookup question

I fyour numbers are all positive then min won't work because youwill return
0. try this instead

=MIN(SUBSTITUTE(--($A$1:$A$8=C1),0,1E+99)*$B$1:$B$8)

"Mike H" wrote:

Hi

=MAX(IF($A$1:$A$8=C1,$B$1:$B$8))
=MIN(IF($A$1:$A$8=C1,$B$1:$B$8))

Wher C1 is the lookup value (110)

'This is an array formula which must be entered by pressing CTRL+Shift+Enter
'and not just Enter. If you do it correctly then Excel will put curly brackets
'around the formula {}. You can't type these yourself. If you edit the formula
'you must enter it again with CTRL+Shift+Enter.

Mike

"steve_m" wrote:

I have a large set of data with many entries. I need to find all instances of
any given value in the first column and then return the maximum and minimum
corresponding value in the second column. For example:

110 25.3
111 6.3
113 7.5
110 11.2
112 21.3
113 11.8
114 30.1
110 2.7

In this example I would like to be able to specify a lookup value, 110 for
example and then have a formula/formulae to retrieve the maximum and minimum
value in the second column, 25.3 and 2.7 in this case.
Thanks in advance