Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
John C[_2_] John C[_2_] is offline

Default Double hyphens --

Okay, so, apprently you completely disregardded my statement of
.... If you do a search for double unary, you might find some better
explanations ...
??? Sorry to be nitpicky, but I qualified my response already.
--
** John C **

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Please, John, it is double unary NEGATION. The operators - and + can both be
used in a unary form (ie operating on only one argument) So we can have =+A1
and =-A1 (just because the first one does nothing does not alter the logic)
Sorry to be nit-picking!
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"John C" <johnc@stateofdenial wrote in message
It's double unary. It, in this case, forces a TRUE or FALSE argument into
numerical value of 1 or 0. If you do a search for double unary, you might
find some better explanations, but essentially, it takes a text argument
and
converts it (if able) into a numeric argument.
--
** John C **
Please remember if your question is answered, to mark it answered :). It

"SteveM" wrote:

What does a double hyphen do in a formual?
e.g. =SUMPRODUCT(--(Sheet2!$A$2:$A$100=$A2),--(Sheet2!$H$2:$H$100="H98"))

I saw that as a response in a different post, and I've seen the "--" in
other responses but have not been successful in finding it in help