Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
T. Valko T. Valko is offline

Default Conditional format row based on 1 column.

It sounds like you selected just A1:A6. Select the *entire* range of cells
you want to format. If your range is A1:F6 select the *entire* range. Also
make sure you enter the formula so that column E is an absolute reference:
$E1

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"FStuttgen" wrote in message
Actually, that is what I had tried before posting, but I tried it again on
subset of my data (A1:F6). What I end up with is Ax pretty blue (where Ex
containx yes), but not the entire row from A-F. Am I missing a step?

"T. Valko" wrote:

Try this:

Select the range of cells. Assume this range is A1:F10
Goto the menu FormatConditional Formatting
Select the Formula Is option
Enter this formula in the box on the right:
=$E1="Yes"
Click the Format button
Select the Patterns tab
Select a nice shade of blue
OK out

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"FStuttgen" wrote in message
My spreadsheet is hundreds of rows but only 6 columns. I want all 6
fields
of
a row to have conditional formatting based on the data in column E.
i.e.,
if
E5 is "yes" all boxes of row 5 have a blue background. If E5 later
changes
"no", the row changes back to white.

Possible?